6.02.2009

Do you just check "I agree?"

hen youre accessing software, or a website, or something that has some legal document provided for your review, do you actually read that agreement, or do you click agree and get on with it. It's okay, you can be honest. I won't tell.

We all know it's a good idea to read the fine print, but what happens when the fine print would take roughly 1-2 hours of reading to complete? Should you just check "I agree" and hope you didn't promise the impossible?

I was downloading a song from itunes when the "Terms and Conditions" popped up. I've agreed to these multiple times now, but every time there is a software update, you have to re-agree all over again. I'm guessing the document is revised with each update, but I've never stopped to actually check. I read the first few lines (usually IN ALL CAPS), my eyes glaze over and I check the "I agree to these terms and conditions" box so I can download my song. This time around, I scrolled to the bottom. As my mouse hovered over the "I agree" check box, I noticed words that had nothing to do with downloading movies, music or podcasts. I went to the printable version to make sure I wasn't seeing things. There, at the very bottom of the document, was the following statement:

"You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."


Unfortunately I had already checked "I agree." There go my plans for the weekend.

No comments: